Tuesday, August 18, 2009

8/18/2009

First day of school, it was a hectic day. Note to self: 1st and 2nd graders do not have nearly the same attention span as 5th and 6th. Luckily, I made it through alive. As far as the students go, they're lucky they did as well. The split is about 2/3 2nd graders, and 1/3 first, with a kindergartner in the mix. I have the sweetest little girl in my class who doesn't speak a word of English, but is very bright. Based off her testing, she does well in math, and she can read English words with the proper pronunciation. I was very impressed, I hope we can get her past the language barrier soon. It's just that with no ESL teacher, or anyone to specifically target her language barrier, I'm not sure what to do for the moment. I'll take suggestions!!!

The rest of the day zoomed by, the kids loved PE with Arqui, it looked like alot of fun. I tried preparing for my day tomorrow, I'm so far behind, but I was just completely exhausted. My goal is to plan and print for the rest of the week tomorrow. I just hope I'll have the motivation. It's just tough without the proper materials, like the internet, a paper slicer, and a proper copier. Or if we even had quality paper. I'll have to admit I'm used to the luxuries of the Granite School District.

On a positive note, Marshall showed me how to cook rice without a rice cooker today. That adds rice to my diet of bread and nutella. I see this going real far.

About the Spanish lessons, no word on if the school is going to pay for them, and Desiree the Spanish teacher wants 70b's per hour. I know I need to do it, I just don't know if I can justify spending the money right now. I really can justify it, and I need it. I got stuck in line today 3b's short of money, and I was trying to communicate I didn't want something, and couldn't do it. Luckily Marshall lent me some money, and I got through. It's time after time after time that I realize I need to constantly be working on my Spanish, and if it be 70b's, I guess so be it. Now the question is, 2 or 3 times a week?

1 comment:

  1. Didn't those Spanish lessons that we downloaded on our ipods teach you anything?!

    Miss the timmy. Let me know if I can send you anything.

    ReplyDelete