Friday, August 14, 2009

10/11/2009

I still don't have the internet, but I need to start writing and putting down memories daily. Already so much has happened that puts together the pieces of my puzzle which are now the edges lost in the family heirloom. The first night I got in, I was absolutely terrified. It gets dark here around 6:30, and I can't pick out any of the dialect. It's not what I'm used to, not knowing spanish doesn't help either. The fact that I'm here, and that I'm stuck here until June of next year hit me super hard. By the time I got into my concrete, bar-windowed house, my insides felt like they were about to melt away with the acids of anxiety. This was what I chose to do. I gave up comfort, a car, friends, family, women, entertainment, and most importantly, my dog Rambo. For what? To sit in a complex walled in by concrete walls and an electrified fence, with armed guards 24/7 at the gate. I'm still not sure why, it makes you appreciate the security of the United States real quick.

Driving here is insanity. People drink and drive for fun, don't follow the lights, weave in and out of traffic. The only place I can think of worse is Los Angeles, but for entirely different reasons. I'm about two miles away from town, but it is not recommended to go alone. Kidnappings are a frequent occurrence. Apparently 2 or 3 parents of students here were kidnapped last year. Supposedly they tend not to kidnap ex-pats due to the involvement of external government forces, so we'll see how true that rings. 3 years ago, someone ran up on campus during school and held a teacher to gunpoint, as well as a maid. At least the embassy donated the money to get our electric fences. A former student of the school took us around town today. He mentioned how when he goes to the beach, he hires a bodyguard or two so that he can feel safe. It just amazes me what the condition of living here is. Every single house is enclose by concrete, it's a surreal world.

Seeing the rest of town was nice, and I got some delicious chinese food today. Ordered calamari. Went out with Jack, Arqui, and Jason. Jason is another first year teacher here doing kindergarten, Jack has lived in Venezuela for about 17 years and is taking on 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. I wish him luck. Arqui is the graduate working at the school. All very good people upon first impression. We discussed drinking on the weekends, so maybe I'll at least be able to get out then.

I got a local Venezuelan phone today, 60 minutes a month + 200 local texts. The sole reason is if people need to get ahold of me. Only 35 bolivars a month, comes out to be between 7 and 8 dollars. Speaking of money, everything costs an arm and a leg here, with the exception of gas which costs about a skin cell. People don't even factor it in to their vacations because it is so cheap. Here people want the bigger more obtrusive cars solely because they are useful. You have to weather the elements, especially during the rainy season. Not to mention if someone crashes into you, there is some element of safety.

I started setting up my classroom today. What a tough process. Moving things out, trying to find places for everything, and i have half curriculums for 1st and 2nd grades. I really am not sure how I'm going to level my students at this moment and that having 6 books for grade 2, and 6 for grade 1 doesn't help me either. Also, not having the internet, once again, really is putting a damper on me right now. I want to get my scheduling done for the first week and am looking for advice from my expansive connections (I'm important) and really get a good schedule going. There is no landline here either, which was supposed to be in, but it doesn't matter too much anyways since the local store ran out of calling cards. Venezuelans have completely different priorities.

I think I need to talk about the gang of iguanas before I forget. There are at least 2 gangs. I got close to the leader of the first gang who hangs out under the center slab. He's definitely the head honcho, and isn't afraid of anybody. Don't know his name, but he looks like a Sucre. The leader of the opposing gang, called the Red Liners(named after the tree circled by a red line) doesn't look as powerful, but I know is a presence in the iguana world. His name is most likely Schubert. I probably could keep typing and typing and typing, but there is too much to say, and it will be a bore for anyone to read even this much. Much luv <3

-Timothy

3 comments:

  1. Tim, I'm so glad you started a blog! I enjoyed reading about your experiences so far. Your room looks great BTW. I'll be in touch with you soon about scheduling ideas and anything else I can think of that might help. Be Safe. ~Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for all your help, and supplies! Me being the procrastinator that I am, left all those goodies that you gave me in a supplies box that I opened last out here. There were so many helpful things that just aren't accessible out here. I still brag about teaching under you, and I'm wondering if you decided to take on a student teacher for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timmy!!!! How did I miss this?? Now I am on the edge of my seat to read the next installment.

    ReplyDelete