Sunday, September 6, 2009

6/9/2009 Puerto, Lecheria, Paella

Some skateboarding for ya'll



Man, it's been an epic weekend.

First, I found an alliance in my plight against the iguanas. Another pic. He's young, but in time he'll be a powerful friend.

I think I'm getting creative, but in reality, I just throw rice and cheese at my problems.

Friday, I ran up to the major school in Puerto La Cruz called CIPLEC(?) to observe how things work there. I was amazed at the resources they had there. A full time ESL teacher, 1st and 2nd grade teachers, parent volunteers, full time music and art teachers, and not to mention tons of funds. I was really impressed by the facilities, and although they don't have yards, they are provided housing, and make more than us Anacoans. Not to mention they live in Puerto La Cruz, which I came to find out is a really amazing and diverse place.

I ate a seafood mix hoping not to get food poisoning for lunch. I had seafood for nearly every meal this weekend, and somehow missed out on the food poisoning train, I got lucky to say the least.

Immediately after school, we headed out to Puerto La Cruz for the weekend. We being Marshall, Jason, Dylan(Jason's son), and Tanya, a girl paid to watch Dylan for Jason. We all split up at different hotels, me choosing one that cost about 15 dollars a night. You get what you pay for. The toilet was leaking, there was no hot water, and I could hear every noise creaking throughout the lobby. Including the employees partying.

In the morning we headed out on a crowded boat to go out to an island(of I forgot the name). Jason and Marshall getting ready. Here Marshall and I are getting serious.



When we arrived at the island, it was pretty much desolate. Only about a 20 minute boat ride from the lush Venezuelan border, it reminded me of the Mojave desert thrown into the middle of the ocean. With as much as it rains, it really was surprising.

In the morning, I ran into this jerk. Have no idea what kind of bird he was, but an interesting character to say the least.

I feel I have to take a picture of every fried fish I eat.

Marshall and I decided to hike up the mountain, and look down upon the Venezuelan people. We ran into some beautiful cacti on the way.







Some models with some facebook advertising showed up on the beach. You gotta love it. Maybe not as much as this fat guy.

Went back home, ate at Hai Gang City again. Tried to take a nap, but my leaking toilet and noisy hotel employees didn't really allow that. Since there was a celebration of some "virgin" going on in the city, I grabbed my skateboard and skated down to see what the fuss was about. I met a couple of mongo pushing skateboarders, who I tried to talk to. I found out there are two skate shops in the area(not mine), so I'm going to have to check those out and see what they have to offer. I was told there are some spots around, and the police don't care. Maybe once I can pick up enough Spanish I'll go around one of these weekends.

Then I met up with Marshall and Jason, Marshall got sun stroke and wasn't able to go out. We took his advice and headed out to Lecheria to a club called Bambuddha, or something of that nature. At first it was pretty empty so we took off to a concert a few blocks down the road. It was just overly loud Reggaeton, which has now equaled the iguanas as far as my pure and utter hatred goes. It is my arch-nemesis. One thing I really do miss about the United States is the music, I can't stand it here. Hopefully I'll find some people who enjoy some music with meaning.

We decided to go back to Bambuddha, and it filled up fast. Apparently you have to a specific type of person so get in, so all we had to do is speak English and they zipped us right on in. Being from the US can have its perks. In that club, there literally was the highest amount of attractive women I've ever seen in a place ever. It blew my mind, Lecheria was a completely different place than I ever expected. I didn't know places like this existed here. Tall rising apartment complexes, nice buildings, and lots and lots of attractive women. Vanity seemed to be really high in this club, as with any other of its kind I suppose. Not exactly what I'm into, regardless, I'm going to make it back there pretty soon.

By the time I got back to my hotel, I was exhausted, and luckily for me I didn't get any sleep this night either. I went out and skated in the morning, met up with everyone, and ate some Paella in dedication of a certain special Ashely.

This weekend was really eye opening to me, and really made me envious of those who can work up in Puerto La Cruz, or any other major city for that matter.

The fail of Venezuela finally got to me today, when I realized that my computer was running with it's electric current because my power isn't grounded in my house. That means I can't get on my computer at home, I brought it to my classroom, but I can't just come up here for personal reasons all the time. Plus, I was practicing Spanish nightly on my computer. I can't see this getting fixed, so I'm not sure what I can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment