Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Right before the break

I've taken a large hiatus from this blog thing. I finally feel settled down enough to start working towards it again, if anything but to look back on in a few years from now. Life is good, I'm in a new city, and I don't need to explain that boring stuff. Pretty much the bottom line is that we've been having horrible floods here, school had to be shut down, houses dismantled, and my vacation ruined(to a degree). Here are some pics(my camera got stolen, so I had to borrow these).

On the first order of business, I went to a bullfight. It was one of those things that I knew I shouldn't have gone to, but thought maybe for the experience it would have been worth it...it wasn't. At least there were potentially beautiful women wearing red. And you know what my dad always says about potentially beautiful women, they are the next best thing to actual beautiful women.



Well a couple of people and I went to Puerto La Cruz for Thanksgiving break. Nice beaches was the main highlight. I lost all those pictures, and we had a really nice first day after taking the night bus down in the morning. The second day we took a boat out to an island called Isla de Plata, and it started to pour on us. 3 hours later a boat picked us up, and upon arrival to the dock, they wouldn't let us off. This was why.



We stayed on the boat for an hour or two, the locals promising us the rain would stop in a few hours, and that river didn't look too promising either.

Untitled from TTT on Vimeo.



A combination of boredom, the cold, and me wearing nothing but my boxers and Karen's cape led us to make the decision to try to hike up the river and try to catch a bus at the top of the hill.





The current was no joke, and I lost a sandal on the way. Nothing is better than walking kilometers of dirty water ridden Venezuelan streets barefoot. Except not being barefoot.

The road turned into a gushing river, with torrents that could take down a small giant anteater.

scribblin the joe from TTT on Vimeo.



Lost my shoe in this one.



Finally we made it back to Puerto La Cruz, only to find that the entire city was flooded. When I thought that walking up that hill barefoot was gross, try walking a mile through garbage infested stagnant city murk! I'm still trying to shake that one off. The road was closed to the girls' hotel, and they got stuck on our side of town for a few hours. Not exactly a relaxing vacation, but definitely what travel is all about.



Next stop, Buenos Aires!

No comments:

Post a Comment