Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Buenos Aires and Ushaia

I left the middle of the day from Caracas on Saturday the 11th to Buenos Aires. I´d been once as a child, but really I had no recollection of the city. I arrived super early in the morning and hopped on a bus to downtown. Everything was shutdown but I was impressed by the massive size, and how modern the city was. Huge buildings, clean streets, and just threw out a great feel. I hailed a cab, and went straight to the first hostel on my list, Palermo House Hostel.




Here I met quite a few cool people, all interesting in their own ways, and all liked to drink...a lot. No problem there. The first day I just became accostumed to the city, and walked around the area of Palermo, in which I was staying. I oggled the great restaraunts and had my first microbrew since I´d left the states.

The following day was spent waiting for an old coworker of mine, who lives in Argentina. She was supposed to meet up with me, but got stuck in traffic, and somehow we missed each other. Pretty much that whole day was wasted sitting around, but I can´t complain about any day in Buenos Aires. Later I went to a overpriced steak house with the Australians, and had an enjoyable evening hearing their banter. One of the great things about travel is the people you meet. Sometimes you run into a bunch of people who are there only to party and spray cologne all over the place while stumbling in to the hostel room at every hour of the morning, but sometimes you make some good connections.





The following day I awoke bright and early, and was determined to see as much of the city as possible. I walked ALL over the city, at least a 5 or 6 mile hike, my end goal was to go to Heladeria Cadore, an ice cream shop that I ate at when I was 12 years old. To this day the chocolate amargo was the best ice cream I´ve eaten to date. It was quite splendid. I ended up getting lost in one of the sketchier areas of Buenos Aires, but it ended up to be alright since I was able to see the more rugged side of the city.

A couple of good people that I really liked were heading out, and I found a cheap one way flight to Ushaia that was only that good price for the next day. It was that or choose a 46 hour bus ride, for a pretty expensive price. Ushaia is in Tierra Del Fuego, further south than I´d ever expect to go. Essentially it´s the end of the world on the southern end, and man is it impressive. I´m further away from home than I´ve ever been, and I feel closer to home since I´ve left the states.




Although I´m absolutely freezing, and spending wayyyyyy to much money, really this place isn´t cheap, I´m super happy to be able to have this opportunity. Next stop will be an almost 24 hour bus ride to El Calafate, from where I´m going to see Parque Nacional Perito Moreno, and check out some glaciars. And my conclusion so far in my first few days is that I´m going to marry an Argentinean, and find a way to live here someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment